Laboratory Technician Level 3
Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science
Initial assessment and diagnostic testing on English and maths will take place prior to commencement of apprenticeship. GCSE grade 9-4 (A*-C) in English and maths or equivalent.
If your organisation operates in fields related to the chemical industry, primary and secondary pharmaceutical sectors, biotechnology, formulated products, nuclear companies or other analytical science services, a laboratory technician may carry out both routine and one-off laboratory testing in your company. An Apprentice Laboratory Technician can offer support and expansion opportunities to existing teams and can quickly learn to perform a variety of technical support functions across your organisation. In any context, working safely and ethically is paramount and many companies operate under highly regulated conditions because of the need to control the quality and safety of products, for example medicines. This Apprenticeship will support the development of Laboratory Technicians in your organisation, building capacity and flexibility in your work force. They may be new recruits or staff you value and want to retain but who are looking to re-train into more technically specialised roles. The programme will support their development and ability to function both individually and as part of a laboratory team. They will soon be able to work with minimal supervision, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work that is undertaken. They will be proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying areas for improving the business, making positive contributions and adding value.
On successful completion of the Level 3 apprenticeship, a laboratory technician can:
- Work safely in a laboratory, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environmental, and risk management systems.
- Understand and follow quality procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to the workplace.
- Understand the internal and external regulatory environment pertinent to the sector and the employer, and comply with regulations proficiently.
- Prepare for laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods.
- Perform laboratory tasks following specified methodologies such as Standard Operating Procedures.
- Demonstrate technical competence in the use of specified instrumentation and laboratory equipment, including calibration where required.
- Produce reliable, accurate data and keep accurate records of laboratory work undertaken and results.
- Analyse, interpret and evaluate data and identify results requiring further investigation, seeking advice of senior colleagues as appropriate.
- Understand and apply statistical techniques for data presentation.
- Communicate scientific information appropriately, including the use of Laboratory Information Management systems, either digital or paper-based.
- Recognise problems and apply appropriate scientific methods to identify causes and achieve solutions.
- Participate in continuous performance improvement.
- Develop and apply theoretical knowledge of relevant science and technology required for the sector and job role.
- Understand the business environment in which the company operates, including one’s personal role within the organisation, ethical practices and codes of conduct.
- Increase profitability and productivity. Skilled and motivated apprentices can improve your company’s efficiency and profitability as they increase their expertise in their role. Your employee will need a broad range of skills to work efficiently and to help increase business productivity and profitability.
- Gain competitive advantage. You gain advantage over your competitors through planned development of your workforce.
- Generate new ideas. Apprentices can bring new ideas and innovation to your business as well as an energy and enthusiasm to the workplace.
- Offer flexibility. Apprentice training is flexible, primarily delivered in the workplace, and offers minimal disruption to your business. The course has a degree of flexibility to enable the apprentice and business to choose the options to meet the demands of the organisation in technical and practical skills.
- Motivate your workforce. Offering training to employees can ensure staff feel valued and motivated as the organisation has invested in their careers and supported their progression. This can help to improve your workforce retention and staff loyalty.
- Skilled staff. This apprenticeship will enable your employees to learn, develop and practise the skills and systems within your organisation required for career progression whilst gaining a nationally recognised qualification.
- Corporate social responsibility. Businesses have a social, environmental and ethical responsibility to the communities they serve. Hiring an apprentice is a cost effective and socially responsible business move which provides you with the opportunity to discover and nurture new talent.
Bury College apprenticeships are work based training programmes which are carried out in the workplace. 20% of your apprentice’s time will be dedicated to off the job training which equates to one and a half hours a day or one full day a week. Off the job activities can include:
- Apprenticeship training
- Observing colleagues
- Receiving mentoring
- Teaching or learning the theory related to their roles
Functional Skills are a vital part of an apprenticeship. Functional Skills provides the essential knowledge, skills and understanding needed to operate confidently, effectively and independently. These are available at Level 1 and Level 2 and the level your employee will work towards will depend on the previous qualifications they have achieved, the results of an assessment prior to their apprenticeship and the requirements of the apprenticeship they are completing.
If your employee has not already achieved Level 2 English and maths they must study for and take the tests for Level 2 English and maths and achieve Level 1 English and maths for the Level 2 Apprenticeship.
As well as college attendance, a Bury College assessor will visit your employee on a regular basis and support them with developing their electronic portfolio which is used as evidence for their end point assessment. During these meetings observations, question and answer sessions and reviews will take place.
Please see the Bury College website for further information on the costs for this particular apprenticeship.